Wednesday 8 August 2012

Web 2.0 Photo/Film Sharing

Hi Elizabeth,
I didn't have my camera at work today, and our branch camera is off-site and in use so I couldn't upload any photos. I have used Fickr many times for sourcing photos (just using "Explore" is a fabulous source for photography techniques) but tend to use Picasa for photo sharing.

I tried several libraries in our area but no one is on Flickr so finally just linked to TPL...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/torontopubliclibrary/

I was very impressed with the 2010 you tube promo video from Oakville
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDSlNy7HtCk&noredirect=1
I notice they had production help from the High School and it is very good. This one    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-SzNT5xzBQ&feature=related 
is not as impressive for production values but was for 2012.

 I don't have a data plan on my phone so I couldn't use Instagram but my daughter and I played around with it on her phone last weekend (if I had realized that was part of this course, I would have had her upload some on Twitter). We liked how you could edit your photo right there on your phone after taking the picture. I follow my brother on Twitter who obviously used this as his posts are often supplemented with photos (and maps).

I downloaded the library tour podcast for the ground floor (I notice the script for the full tour is no longer available).  I found this type of tour weird to listen too. I think it better suited to a video presentation but I suppose if you had it on your IPOD you could follow along right in the building.

I already subscribe to Gian's podcasts as I often don't get to hear him at all, or only catch part of Q in the car.

I love the idea of the cinemagraphs...it's like the next step in scrapbooking! But it seems quite involved to produce. You need a course in photoshop by the looks if it. I have played around with GIMP (free photosharing software that rivals Adobe) and it is very challenging and time-consuming but worth it if you were to use it extensively. As with so many of thewse things, it is finding the time for the learning curve.

I can see a use for many of these in a library or other business setting but I must admit that I find the degree of sharing (photos, personal information...footprint all over the internet) a little unnerving. As much as we try to control the degree of sharing through privacy settings, the erosion to our privacy is ongoing as with Foursquare locale identity and Google's propensity to make everything increasingly public!

No comments:

Post a Comment